How much weight should you gain in pregnancy Naturally?
Weight gain during pregnancy is the most common thing which women could experience. Every pregnant woman gains weight differently according to their body type.
Average weight women will gain roughly around 25 to 30 pounds whereas underweight women will gain 28 to 40 pounds and overweight women will gain 15 to 25 pounds.
Things Which Cause Weight Gains Are:
- A baby weighs around 8 pounds.
- The increase in the blood flow in your body.
- The amniotic fluid surrounds your baby.
Your healthy weight gain depends on the weight you were before pregnancy. Some women may lose weight during the first few months of pregnancy and that is normal.
If your weight varies during pregnancy then you don’t have to worry because gaining weight is completely normal.
If you are having experience rapid increase or decrease in weight then you should consult your doctor for it.
Weight Gain During Pregnancy
Gaining weight during pregnancy is completely normal. There are many factors which decide the weight gain in women body during pregnancy.
If you are underweight then you gain a little more weight as compared to other women.
If you are overweight then you will gain less weight as compared to other pregnant women.
Many times, women carry twins which increases her body weight by 50 to 60 pounds. Gaining weight depends on the calorie input. It is advised not to reduce weight during pregnancy.
A rapid weight gain early pregnancy is a thing in which women will gain weight rapidly due to tons of reasons. Please also read
A rapid weight gain early pregnancy is a thing in which women will gain weight rapidly due to tons of reasons. Please also read Average Weight Gain During Menopause
If you gain weight too much or too less then it will be harmful to you and for your baby so it is advisable to gain a normal weight during pregnancy.
1. Whats a Healthy Weight?
How much weight should you gain in pregnancy? This is the most common question asked by women but the most important question which they should have asked is what’s a healthy weight?
Recommended weight gain depends on the actual weight of women. There are many factors by which a different weight is observed in different women.
You should first check your Body Mass Index i.e. BMI and according to that, you can analyze the gained weight.
- If your BMI is under 18.5 then recommended weight gain should be 13 to 18 kg.
- If you have a Normal weight then your gain weight should be 11 to 16 kg.
- Overweight women will gain weight little less with roughly around 7 to 11 kg.
- And in Obesity, women will gain 5 to 9 kg only.
If your weight is increasing then you don’t have to worry, you just have to maintain it to a healthy level.
2. Why Worry About Weight?
Many women start getting depress and start worrying about their weight gain. Some women worry about the fact that she is not gaining weight during pregnancy.
But believe it or not, gaining weight is all depend on your body type and your lifestyle. Everyone gains weight at their own pace. Gaining weight depends on many factors such as:
- Your metabolism will highly affect the weight gain during pregnancy.
- Your morning sickness
- Your appetite will decide whether you gain weight fastly or slowly.
- Other medical conditions such as any past incident.
So, if you are worried about your slow weight gain or fast weight gain then you need to relax a bit. You need to ask yourself how much weight should you gain in pregnancy because too much weight gain is quite dangerous.
How To Gain Weight During Breastfeeding
Weight Gain In First Month Of Pregnancy
Best Pregnancy Workouts At Home
Best Protein Powders For Pregnancy
Weight Gain for Pregnancy
Weight Gain In Thighs During Pregnancy
3. What Can Expectant Mothers Do Achieve Healthy Weight Gain?
Eating the right food and in the right quantity will help you and your baby to remain healthy. You have to count every calorie you intake. Whether you have six small meals or three big meals you have to eat consistently.
Carbohydrates are the main source of energy and you should consume it as much as you can to stay active every time.
You should eat fruits and vegetables during your pregnancy. Fruits and veggies contain essential vitamins and nutrients which is good for your baby and your body.
Protein is essential for your baby tissue growth so it is recommended to take one high protein meal in a day to get a healthy baby.
4. Is Weight Gain Important During Pregnancy?
Yes, gaining weight is important but recommended weight gain is essential to protect your and your baby’s health. Every woman will gain weight during pregnancy.
You should now ask how much weight should you gain in pregnancy rather you should ask is weight gain is important.
If you gain very less weight during pregnancy then there are chances that your baby has low birth weight. A premature baby is born in 37 weeks of pregnancy.
If you gain too much weight during pregnancy then your baby will premature which means your baby may have health problems after birth.
How much weight should you gain in pregnancy, describes the health of you and your baby.
5. How Much Weight Should You Gain During Pregnancy?
Gaining weight is quite common during pregnancy but the main point is how much weight should you gain during pregnancy?
- If a woman is underweight before pregnancy then pregnancy weight gain kg must be 13 to 16 kg.
- If a woman is overweight before pregnancy then pregnancy weight gain kg must be 9 to 11 kg.
- If a woman’s weight is normal then pregnancy weight gain kg must be 11 to 13 kg.
How much weight should you gain in pregnancy also depend on your weight before pregnancy?
Carrying a twin or triplet will increase the expected weight during pregnancy. Your baby and other liquids in your body contribute 80% of your weight gain.
6. How Can You Track Your Weight Gain During Pregnancy?
For tracking your weight gain during pregnancy, you should visit the hospital regularly. You have to track your weight as per your BMI so you have a clear idea about the expected weight.
You should use a weight gain tracking chart to track the weight. There are many weight gain calculators on the internet which help you in tracking your weight gain.
You have to track the pregnancy weight gain timeline to check your weight gain periodically.
Tracking help in answering the question of how much weight should you gain in pregnancy.
Gaining too much weight or gaining too little weight both will lead to a premature baby and it will also affect your health. You need to track weight gain during pregnancy month by month and pregnancy weight gain week by week.
7. Where Do You Gain Weight During Pregnancy?
How much weight should you gain in pregnancy is common but where do you gain it is the main question here.
When you gained weight during pregnancy then most of the weight comes from these sources. Pregnancy weight gain breakdown is the following:
- Your baby will weigh around 7 to 8 pounds inside your belly.
- The amniotic fluid weighs around 2 pounds. This liquid will surround your baby and act as an extra protective layer for your baby.
- During pregnancy, you will gain 4 pounds of blood in your body.
- Your breast will increase and gain an extra 2 pounds of weight.
- Your body fat will increase by 7 pounds which also contains other nutrients.
- Your uterus will start growing during pregnancy and start gaining weight by 2 pounds.
8. What Is The Average Weight Gain In Pregnancy?
If a woman weights normal then she will gain roughly around 25 to 30 pounds. Healthy women need only 300 more calories in a day then she did before pregnancy to gain a healthy weight gain.
- Underweight women should gain 27 to 41 pounds after pregnancy. And Overweight women will gain weight only 15 to 20 pounds.
- Average weight gain in pregnancy also depends on the weight of the women before and how much weight should you gain in pregnancy.
- In general, women will gain 2 to 4 pounds in the first three months of pregnancy and one pound during your rest week of the pregnancy.
So, the average weight gain must be around 1 1/2 pounds every week during the first three weeks of the pregnancy which best describes how much weight should you gain in pregnancy.
9. How Can I Manage How Much Weight I Put On During My Pregnancy?
Managing the right weight during pregnancy is very important both for you and your baby.
You can include very good and nutritional food in your diet to maintain a good and healthy weight gain. How much weight should you gain in pregnancy define the problem you have to face.
You should eat fruits and vegetables which provide vitamins and nutrition to your body and also, they are low in calories and fats.
Consume more carbohydrates from bread, cereals and other whole-grain food. Carbs are the main source of energy for your body during pregnancy.
Select low-fat dairy products in your diet. You should drink 4 glasses of milk every day to get a good calcium content for your body.
Learn More About: Pregnancy Weight Gain
Gaining weight during pregnancy is very common in women. The right amount of weight gain is essential otherwise it will affect the baby’s health. Every woman has a different metabolism rate, different lifestyle, different medical conditions so it will affect weight gain.
Underweight women will gain more weight while overweight will gain less weight during pregnancy. You have to track pregnancy weight gain per week to check your health and your baby health.
Pregnant women with twin kids will gain more than a single kid pregnant woman. During pregnancy you have to track your weight regularly otherwise it will affect your baby health.
There are many medical drawbacks that a babyface due to mothers’ unpredicted weight gain. How much weight should you gain in pregnancy also depend on the mother’s lifestyle, Women need to eat healthy food which will help in a proper weight gain during pregnancy.